Thursday 14 August 2014

How the new product diffusion curve relates to me


I thought to myself yesterday while buying macaroons that for a marketer I am rather delayed when it comes to trying new products. It’s not that I am boring, I do want to try it but there’s just no rush (It’s either that or there marketing campaign sucks) and then I realised, that I fall into the category of the late majority in the new product diffusion curve which is also known as the adoption process. Worried that I might not be normal, I decided to do some research and found that each stage in the adoption process I can related to atleast one of my weird friends.

Innovators – Well informed risk takers who are willing to try an unproven product. Innovators represent the first 2.5% of consumers to adopt the product. Rayhaan Williams social media fanatic is always looking to try something new, He was raving about Wakkaberry probably a year before I had tried it however when I did try it, I was disappointed and realised that their unique favoured frozen yogurt requires an acquired taste lol.

Early Adopters – Based on the positive response of the innovators, early adopters then begin to purchase the product. Early adopters tend to be educated opinion leaders and represent about 13.5% of consumers. Nuhaa Isaacs brand guru, macaroons could easily be one of her favourite desserts, she talked about it so much one day that I decided to google it (Lol I know you thinking, shoo is this girl for real? How can she not know what it is) It just looked like a pretty biscuit to me and the first time I tried it was last month at Vida e Caffe, Beyond devine!

Early Majority – Careful consumers who tend to avoid risk, the early majority adopts the product once it has been proven by the early adopters. They rely on recommendations from others who have experience with the product. The early majority represents 34% of consumers. Luqman Darries Foodie enthusiast nagged like someone that has been deprived of food, just so we could try Woodies a few months ago after his gaming friends recommended it to him. Definitely one of the best burgers I have ever tried.

Late Majority – somewhat sceptical consumers who acquire a product only after it has become commonplace. The late majority also represent 34% of consumers, and this ladies and gentleman would apply to me. Zarinah Dove the critic. People’s positive feedback on a product doesn’t affect my opinion because I judge a product according to my own standards and still to date, I have not tried Burger King (Lol, no lies)


Laggards – those who avoid change and may not adopt a new product until tradition alternatives no longer are available. Laggards represent 16% of consumers. Robin Solomons badass ambitious revolutionist is still not on social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest nor LinkedIn, Lol but then again, neither am I yet and it is already the 21st Century.

2 comments:

  1. as the laggard of the group I feel when it comes to social media I do not see the point of being on 10 different social media sites. how many different ways can I say the same thing on different sites? I prefer to make face2face connections. I am not saying that being on different sites are bad its just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol a laggard isn't necessarily a bad thing, just look at me, I literally only set up my instagram and LinkedIn accounts today however I still have no idea how they work hehehe

    ReplyDelete