Saturday 16 August 2014


Why billboards?
On my way to canal walk the other day, driving 120 on the N1, I start to slow down just before the bridge by Ratanga Junction. My boyfriend turns to me and asks why I always slow down at that point. So I told him that I can’t read fast enough when driving 120 and I love reading the interesting slogan on the American Swiss billboard. Their advertising team is so creative. It always catches my attention and I remember it because it’s funny and they play with their wording so well.

Due to the Fifa World cup in Brazil, American Swiss decided to make their billboard slogan “Let her play in the premier league” with two massive diamond rings on the side. To me, that’s brilliant advertising. Soccer world cup. Premier league. Get it? Advertising on a billboard can be super expensive, the starting price is about R6500 a month and upwards but there are so many advantages to it such as

·         * Huge and eye catching
·         * Targets a large and diverse market
·         * Easily registered information
·         * Increased frequency of consumer exposure
·         * Effective medium of awareness advertising
·         * Targets middle and upper classes
·         * Photographic information (strong visual effect)
·         * Builds company reputation and product image
·        *  Quick rise in sales
·         * Guaranteed audience
·         * Customers find you

 However we shouldn’t forget about the disadvantages either

·         * High costs for brief exposure
·         * Risk from vandalism, weather conditions
·         * Visibility issue
·         * Stationary mode of advertising
·         * Time insensitive
·         * No feedback
·         * No advantage of space
·         * Does not target a specific market
·         * Short term advertising tool
·         * Limited information

As a future advertiser, I feel that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The billboard is definitely worth using as an advertising tool depending on the product or service of course. 


No comments:

Post a Comment